How does the Web MIDI Test Tool works?
To use the MIDI connection test on your piano or keyboard, follow these steps:
1 – Go to this page from any of the following browsers: Google Chrome, Opera or Microsoft Edge.
2 – Connect your keyboard to your device to test the MIDI web connection. The connection is made via a MIDI-USB cable.
3 – Once the connection is made, look at the message that appears. If the message remains the same as before the connection of your piano (“No MIDI input detected, plug a MIDI keyboard 🔌 “) it means that your MIDI connection is not recognized by the browser. If the message changes to “MIDI Keyboard detected ✅ You can now use La Touche Musicale piano learning app!”, it means that your MIDI connection has been recognized. You can now connect your piano to your device to use MIDI software like La Touche Musicale.
What should I do if my MIDI connection test is not working?
Sometimes the MIDI web connection is not recognized by the browser. If this is the case, please check the following items:
– You are performing the test on one of the following browsers: Google Chrome, Opera or Microsoft Edge. Other browsers such as Safari or Mozilla Firefox do not recognize this MIDI connection technology.
– Your piano or keyboard may need to have a driver installed on your device. Indeed, some keyboard models (usually older models) require the installation of a driver to be recognized by the device to which it is connected. To do this, simply consult the technical documentation of your piano on the Internet, which is often downloadable from the official website of its manufacturer (Yamaha, Korg, Alesis, …). You can also use a precise Google search to find it. For example, you can type the name of your piano model followed by “driver” on Google. You will easily find information about it. Always use the documentation on the manufacturer’s official website when looking for a driver.
– If you perform this MIDI test from an iOS device (iPhone or iPad), the connection will not be recognized. This is because iOS blocks Web MIDI technology on all its devices. You must then perform the test from an Android device or a computer (Mac or Windows, both work).
– Your MIDI-USB cable may be defective. MIDI-USB cables sold on the internet are often cheap and it happens that some cables are defective. They don’t make a good connection between your piano/keyboard and the device you are using. In this case, the best thing to do is to refer to the notes of the different models present on the websites. Take a good look at the customer reviews of each cable model and choose the ones that have good reviews.
– Your connection via the cable may have been done incorrectly during the test. If you are testing via a MIDI-USB cable with a circular tip, check that you have connected the “IN” connector of your cable to the “OUT” connector of your piano, or vice versa (the “OUT” to the “IN”). If you plug the “IN” into the “IN” or the “OUT” into the “OUT”, the connection cannot be made.
Connect your MIDI keyboard and learn the piano with the songs you love
Frequently Asked Question
What is a Web MIDI connection?
A MIDI connection allows you to connect your piano or keyboard to your computer tools. The MIDI data are transferred from your instrument to your device (computer, talbette, smartphone, …) and you can then record the notes and chords you make. The connection is made via a MIDI-USB cable.
What do I need to do the MIDI test?
To take this test, you need :
– A computing device (smartphone, tablet, computer) with an internet connection ;
– A piano or keyboard equipped with a MIDI connection;
– A MIDI-USB cable to make the connection between the two devices.
How does the test work?
To perform this test, you must first go to one of the following browsers: Google Chrome, Opera or Microsoft Edge. Once on one of these browsers, connect your MIDI piano or keyboard to your device. Then check that the recognition message is displayed on the page. If it is the case, your instrument has been recognized and you can use it in MIDI from any type of software (MAO, learning app, …).
Why is my MIDI device not recognized?
Your device may not be recognized. Check that you are on Google Chrome or Opera, that you are not performing the MIDI test on an iOS device, that your MIDI cable is not defective, that your piano model does not require a driver to be installed, or that your cable connections have been properly configured.
My MIDI connection works, then what?
Once your MIDI web test is successful, you can use your piano or keyboard on any MAO software or learning application. For example, on the La Touche Musicale app, you can connect your instrument in MIDI to interact with the app and learn the piano at your own pace by playing the notes and chords of thousands of songs on the piano. The app waits for you to play the right notes on your connected piano before continuing to the next notes.
Is your MIDI connection working?
Take advantage of it
With La Touche Musicale app, learning piano online has never been this easy and fun.
Connect your piano or keyboard via a MIDI-USB cable and enjoy thousands of interactive piano lessons.
Try it, it’s free and without obligation!